A bunch of vibrant locals are all a-board Geraldton’s most anticipated annual home-grown Fringe World festival – Funtavia.
The Funtavia family has grown a little, having recently restructured as an incorporated body and forming its inaugural board.
Our vibrant panel of 8 members include;
Chair – Rob Jefferies
Vice Chair – Lara Dalton
Secretary – Emmaline James
Treasurer – Tom Gorman
Event Producer – Jodi Reilly
Creative Producer – Julian Canny
Board Members – Robbie Garvey
Board Member – Alexia Parenzee
The new management board brings together a cross-section of some of the region’s most creative, like-minded and innovative individuals.
Event founders Julian Canny of The Comedy Emporium and Jodi Reilly from Reilly & Co, called for the Funtavia restructure to become an incorporated body to ensure the festival continued to support local comedians, artists and performers, while also bringing world-class entertainment to the Mid West each February.
After two sold-out successes, Funtavia has captured the hearts of the many as being a must-attend festival on the region’s entertainment calendar.
While now operated by a board of volunteers, Mr Canny and Ms Reilly will continue to play active roles with Mr Canny remaining as program director and Ms Reilly taking on the role of event director.
Funtavia aims to deliver the following objectives;
- Cultural Identity – Funtavia brings together a diverse range of local producers representing multiple disciplines to showcase the diverse voice of our local culture. The activities of Funtavia place a high focus on developing the capacity of local artists and producers to create impactful work.
- Connection to Community – Funtavia seeks to embrace community engagement by looking outwards towards new and existing networks within local regional communities, bringing people together for exhilarating experiences. After all a community that laughs together, bonds together. Funtavia provides pathways for interested people to be part of the learning, organisation and fun.
- Place Activation – Funtavia transforms unloved, neglected and abandoned areas into vibrant, colourful and lively spaces. It fosters a sense of pride among locals, a sense of excitement among visitors, and a sense of accomplishment among stakeholders. Funtavia wants patrons to explore their city with awe.
- Cultural Exchange and Export – Funtavia curates a quality program of performances from international, national and local artists. It helps local artists to showcase their works both inside and outside our region. Funtavia believes the strong promotion of works can define our local cultural identity.
- Foster Growth – Funtavia fosters and nurtures artists, and community members’ artistic skills and interests in arts and community events. Funtavia shall create sustainable economic and social benefits to community.
- Bridge Disadvantage -Funtavia works to bridge the disadvantages that regional and remote artists, people and communities face in access to arts; building artistic development, potential and interests.
- Sense of Adventure – Funtavia provides the opportunity for individuals to feel excited by the sense of adventure and fun that the program presents.
Funtavia 2018 will be held again in the Funtavia Hub, 189 Marine Terrace on Thursday from February 8 to 10.
The program of events includes a variety of performances such as comedy, circus, theatre, visual arts, dance, music and musicals.
Winner of the 2016 Fringe World Independent Program and Venue Award for ‘Best New Venue’.
How to book tickets
See the short video below to explain how to book tickets. If you have any trouble booking tickets please don’t hesitate to contact us (P) 0488 488 266 (E) email@example.com
Please note this video was made for last year’s festival and therefore a few of the minor details are now out of date. However, the overall process to buy tickets is the same. We will have an updated video up online shortly.
Breathe new life into Geraldton by becoming an event sponsor of Funtavia, Geraldton’s award winning Fringe World hub this February 2017.
You’ll be supporting a locally owned community event designed to entertain locals and visitors from around the region. And at the same time you’ll benefit from aligning yourself with a brand that has captured the imagination of festival goers the world over. Fringe World Perth is the third largest Fringe Festival in the world – and yes, Funtavia brings a slices of it to Geraldton!
To get involved please contact Jodi at firstname.lastname@example.org
Funtavia is proudly brought to you by Funtavia Inc.